KelliDeli is reinforcing its commitment to improving the welfare conditions of broiler chicken by joining the Better Chicken Commitment.
This initiative, supported by 30 NGOs in Europe, aims to significantly improve the conditions for rearing chickens, including more space per animal, less fast-growing breeds, the presence of perches and natural light, and more respectful methods of slaughter.
We are committed to meet the following standards set out in the European Chicken Commitment (ECC) for 100% of the chicken meat sourced (fresh, frozen and processed) for our own branded products by 2026:
- Comply with all EU animal welfare laws and regulations, regardless of the country of production.
- Implement a maximum stocking density of 30kg/m2 or less. Thinning is discouraged and if practiced must be limited to one thin per flock.
- Adopt breeds that demonstrate higher welfare outcomes which meet the criteria of the RSPCA Broiler Breed Welfare Assessment Protocol.
- Meet improved environmental standards including: At least 50 lux of light, including natural light. At least two metres of usable perch space, and two pecking substrates, per 1,000 birds. On air quality, the maximum requirements of Annex 2.3 of the EU broiler directive, regardless of stocking density. No cages or multi-tier systems.
- Adopt controlled atmospheric stunning using inert gas or multi-phase systems, or effective electrical stunning without live inversion.
- Demonstrate compliance with the above standards via third-party auditing and annual public reporting on progress towards this commitment.
Additionally, across our French and Swedish kiosks at least 20% of the volumes of our chicken meat will come from farms meeting these criteria and guaranteeing access to outdoor space or to a winter garden.